Tuesday, May 03, 2005

New Light on M.I.T. Issues, With a (Gasp!) Biologist at the Helm

An NYT story on the new president of MIT, which I think paints a pretty positive picture. While they couldn't avoid mentioning the woman issue, at least they tried to include (in the title) the IMHO much more significant (and scarier) aspect of her being a biologist. But somehow the body of the article only mentions this aspect very briefly. Does the NYT not get it? But then what about the title? Or do they get it, but think that they can't write about it in a way that will appeal to the masses, so they won't even try.

The New York Times > Science > New Light on M.I.T. Issues, With a (Gasp!) Biologist at the Helm

3 Comments:

Blogger finou said...

From what I know of the research that she did in "biology", it was very much in the genetics and bioengineering-ish side of things so I think she'll fit in fine at MIT ;)-

5/04/2005 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

That sounds like "biology" to me. :) But I was glad to hear that she recognized the importance of increasing funding of physical sciences, and not just NIH.

5/05/2005 04:11:00 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My math article site has lots of info pertaining to math article.

Come visit sometime :)

12/30/2005 03:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home