Thursday, April 07, 2005

I'm NOT dead...

Right well this is just a weird story about how computers have taken over...
For those of you who don't know, I broke my left thumb. It was a fluke accident during Taekwondo practice.
This morning, I had my 1 week follow up appointment to get another xray and to check to make sure the cast was ok. But when I went to check in, I got more than the usual set of identifying questions (Name, Birthday, Address... followed by "are you sure you're Delphine?"). Then, I was nicely informed that I was deceased! But of course, it was possible that the computer was wrong since I'm standing right there (actually the funny part was that the computer would warn the receptionist that I was deceased but then let her make appointments for me anyway... I wonder how many deceased people need to see the orthopaedist...)
So I got it straightened out after a while (it was a computer "glitch" apparently) but it's just weird to be informed that I'm perhaps not as alive as I think I am...

5 Comments:

Blogger bdean said...

Wow... sounds almost like something that would happen to jocave... :)

4/07/2005 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Perhaps Delphine is starting to emit the bozo-ons that cause computers and administrators to behave like bozos.

Very glad to hear that rumors of your death were greatly exaggerated.

4/07/2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Qian said...

As we know from Monty Python, this kind of thing doesn't require a computer to happen. :) Anyway, in honor of Delphine's narrow escape:

MORTICIAN: Bring out your dead!
Bring out your dead!
[clang] Bring out your dead!
[clang] Bring out your dead!
[clang] Bring out your dead!
[clang] Bring out your dead!
CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: What?
CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
MORTICIAN: He isn't.
CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.
MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.
DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!
CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
MORTICIAN: I can't take him...
DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...
MORTICIAN: I can't.
CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine today.
CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?
MORTICIAN: Thursday.
DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
CUSTOMER: Right.

cut-n-pasted from http://www.rit.edu/~smo4215/monty.htm

4/07/2005 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

It's a good thing BDelphine graduated already

4/08/2005 04:16:00 AM  
Blogger Vincent said...

Mmmm... Easter... chocolate bilbies!

4/08/2005 11:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home