Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Greetings from Socorro

I'm finally here in New Mexico. The journey took 3 days, but our stuff's journey will take another week. Fortunately I have the items I shipped from the Boston area, and thanks to the magic of free AOL coasters... uh... CDs, I have internet access while we wait for a DSL hookup.

There are stores, two supermarkets, and about 20 restaurants in town, but the nearest Wal-Mart and Home Depot are in Belen and Los Lunas, about 50 miles away (on an interstate whose speed limit is 75 mph). We're getting a refrigerator delivered on Friday, but no one is pleased to deliver to Socorro. The Sears in Anderson, SC will deliver in a 200-mile radius including to remote areas in western NC accessible only by narrow, winding mountain roads, but Home Depot in Los Lunas, NM charges $1.50 per mile after the first 15 (and won't actually bring the refrigerator into the house), while Sears refuses to deliver here at all, despite the excellent quality of the aforementioned road linking all these communities.

We have geese and chickens. Rather, our neighbours have geese and chickens, and they wander into our yard sometimes. It wouldn't be too bad if they wouldn't poop -- or if we were allowed to cook the walking poultry. There isn't any (other) livestock in our subdivision. Supposedly the girl next door is keeping the birds as a 4-H project.

I miss my Canadian satellite dish. I'll try to order one by phone tomorrow. It will be great to have television again, especially since the Olympics start in mid-August. They're not as fun to watch as the winter Olympics, but they're Olympic nonetheless. I'd like to be able to compare coverage on NBC and CBC.

3 Comments:

Blogger finou said...

It's good to hear that you made it in ok! I almost did the whole drive across the country thing with my sister last year but it didn't happen (cause well... her M.Eng. thesis experience sucked). I always thought that it would be nice to do. How's the weather and stuff in New Mexico?
About the Sears delivery thing, can you get them to deliver stuff to your place if you order it online instead of from the store?

7/15/2004 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Vincent said...

It's hot, sunny, and dry, which isn't that bad of a combination, provided you remember to wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. Keeping hydrated here is very important.

They're building a Wal-Mart in Socorro, but it won't open until the spring.

OLN is available on Expressvu in the Sports theme pack. I had that pack for a so I could get stations that show a lot of hockey, curling, and rugby. I also watched coverage of le Tour de France on OLN last year. Besides Ben (and me on the few days I had cable in SC), is anyone else watching it?

7/15/2004 04:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i get the joy and excitement of watching the highlights during cycling class (or "torture class" as ms. fox likes to call it) :P

r

7/17/2004 02:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home